GHD curls – horizontal vs vertical

Ask a hairdresser whether they go horizontal or vertical with the ghd hair straightener to create a curl, and it’s bound to spark a conversation. No technique is right or wrong, but they definitely produce different results. Here I show you the two and give you my opinion – hopefully it helps you next time you need to create some curl!

Products I used:
ghd Gold Classic Styler – $269 – www.ghdhair.com
ghd Thermal Protector for normal-fine hair – $30
ghd Paddle Brush – $34
Wella Pro Series Max Hold Hairspray – $7.99 – Supermarkets

All products were offered to Stuff That I Bought for editorial consideration – for more details, see our disclosure policy

9 Responses to "GHD curls – horizontal vs vertical"

1. Ms Styling You

August 5, 2011 at 1:09 am

Great video! Here's my tip: book into a hairdresser. I'm SO slack with my hair and it drops so easily, I need the pros to wield their magic powers. Or maybe I could drop round to you?!

2. Elise @ StuffThatIBought

August 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm

If you're ever in Sydney, I'm happy to help you out lovely lady! But there's something special about getting a hairdresser to do it for you – it always looks that bit better than a home job.

3. Julia @ Boredom Abounds

August 8, 2011 at 2:53 am

Ooh, great video! I have not been able to master curling with my GHD, so I'm glad to have a video like this to refer too!

4. Anonymous

August 8, 2011 at 7:05 am

Horizontal really suits you! My hair is so long and in between fine and thick but it takes me over an hour to curls it! The really bad thing is that once I have finished one side, I get bored and end up messing up the other side! Great vid! 🙂

5. sarah

August 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm

handy vid! I tend to do more of a loose curl look and it always looks great on the left side of my hair, but for some reason my right side always looks different – i can't seem to get it right!

6. Elise @ StuffThatIBought

August 8, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Sarah are you a lefty? I'm right-handed and my right side always looks better than my left because of the whole awkward reaching around the head thing. Getting symmetry is always a bit of a battle.

Thank you everyone for your nice comments! I'm glad this vid is useful.

7. Jen W

August 9, 2011 at 9:12 am

You know, I'm ashamed to say that I never knew there was a horizontal way and a vertical way. But I suck at hair.

Really useful video thanks for doing it Elise! Going to try it with my ghd soon.

8. Sher

August 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I'm soooooo bad at GHD curls 🙁 I have tried SO many times but that always look terrible!!!
    I def prefer the beachy look thuogh x

9. Pingback: Review: ghd Air hair dryer - is it worth buying?

Submit a comment